If I will draft a list of my most admired women, Rachel Zoe will be in the top 5. She rose in the early 2000 as stylist of big music stars like the Backstreet Boys, Enrique Iglesias, Jessica Simpson, and Britney Spears, although, before that she once worked as a fashion assistant at YM Magazine in New York.
Her work in the magazine opened doors for her to meet a lot of stars in the industry. Eventually, she decided to work as a freelance stylist while contributing articles to magazines. The people she worked with like the publicists and fashion magazine editors, among others, hired her to work on projects. From there, her hard work and passion for her craft led her to styling actress Jennifer Garner. Her list of clients included Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, Keira Knightley, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie, and many more. Today, she has her own fashion empire under her name and a thriving career as a digital influencer.
On a recent trip to Los Angeles, California, I got hold of her book, “Living In Style: Inspiration and Advice for Everyday Glamour”. Here are some of the best lessons and quotes from the book:
1. You don’t have to have a big budget, you don’t have to be rich and famous to look good and feel good.
2. “You don’t have to be obsessed with style to live in style. My number one mission is to show women that, even if all you have time for is a red lip, that’s all you need to feel confident in your day-to-day—which really is the most attractive thing of all.”
3. Referring to preparing dinner parties, she said, “It’s the simple rituals that you come to value the most in life.”
4. If you can’t afford a new original Louis Vuitton purse, Zoe recommends that you go to vintage shops, or simply carrying a great bag without a designer name that suits your signature style.
5. To develop your own style, you need to identify people—celebrities, friends, or family—whose style you like so much. Create a mood board of pictures to study, or ask your friend for a tour of her closet to see what she uses to establish her signature looks.
6. Maxi dresses will flatter everyone. Small framed women should pair them with heels, and opt for more fitted styles. Nude pumps that complement your skin tone will make your legs look longer just avoid a bisecting t-strap.
7. Darker denim is always more flattering, and wide-leg or boot-cut styles will elongate your legs.
These are just some of the pieces of wisdom from Zoe. I recommend every one who wants to develop their sense of style to get a copy.
Hi! I’m Michelle Medina-Sison, a fitness enthusiast, businesswoman and a philanthropist. We at Glam and Fab Queen help women reach their full potential. We offer free consultation and guide you on your wellness goals. Interested? Just message us on Facebook or sign up on our website by clicking below. Talk to you soon!